There are very few risk factors that have been found to directly cause fibroids; this is due to limited research. However, one of the main risk factors of uterine fibroids is being of reproductive age. Others include:
- If your grandmother, mother, or sister has had fibroids you may have an increased risk.
- Lifestyle factors such as the use of birth control, a vitamin D deficiency, drinking alcohol or eating a diet high in saturated fat or inflammatory foods.
- If you got your period at an early age.
- If you are of African-American descent.
- Having a higher body mass index (BMI)