Are You at Risk?
Who is at Risk? *
There are very few risk factors that have been found to directly cause fibroids; this is due to limited research. However, one of the main risk factors of uterine fibroids is being of reproductive age. Others include: *
- If your grandmother, mother, or sister has had fibroids you may have an increased risk.
- Lifestyle factors such as the use of birth control, a vitamin D deficiency, drinking alcohol or eating a diet high in saturated fat or inflammatory foods.
- If you got your period at an early age.
- If you are of African-American descent.
- Having a higher body mass index (BMI)
The Fibroid Facts *
- 70-80% of women will get uterine fibroids before turning 50.
- 57% of women do not think they are at risk of developing fibroids.
- 1 in 5 women think hysterectomy is the only treatment option for fibroid symptoms.
- 62% of women have never heard of Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE).
- 73% of women did not hear about UFE from a primary physician or gynecologist, instead of having to resort to online resources, friends, or family members.
- Many fibroids are considered asymptomatic; however, 30-40% of people with experience symptoms.
- 53.7% of women reported that in the last year, their symptoms have had a negative impact on their daily life.
Source: National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), National Library of Medicine